Wednesday, April 25, 2007

At the moment

After the run on Friday I took Saturday and Sunday off.

On Saturday we had a party at home. It was Luis's birthday. Is not that I use to celebrate all his birthdays but this was his forty and I think this number is special. I became some nervous since this was the first "party" I do inviting more than 30 people -plus kids- from his work and friends. I hired a mariachi group to play our Mexican music live but as they were coming from Santo Domingo I was nervous for they to arrive on time and of course that they were good. Food and all the rest details were fine but I was spinning around all the time...
All this is said not only to let you know that we celebrate but because I have something to confess. As part of the celebration with all the excitement of the night I smoked 3 cigarettes. Awful. Last night when I said this to Luis he was disappointed -he said so-.
The good part is that I can handle this. This not a problem for me.
I use to be a smoker years ago but after I started exercising my body asked me to stop, I didn't even have to decide to quit.
I became a social smoker having a cigar if I had a drink maybe once in two weeks, until one day that this made my throat irritated. It was during my marathon training so it became a priority to maintain my health and not risking it for a cigar. I just stopped for about eight months to last December when I had a cigar on the 24Th eve.
In other occasion about two months ago I had another.
So this was the third time I smoke in this year and I say now, the last. It took me long to recover from it. I felt dizzy during Sunday and Monday and I bet it was for the cigar.

That didn't stop me from running of course. Monday morning went to the beach for a good run. Great cloudy morning that let me run with out too much hot.

Then yesterday morning for the first time in some days run here in the area where I live on asphalt. Started with Luis and we made a loop of 3 miles. Came home to drink some water and to catch my friend Nancy to run other 3 miles. It was when the pain started. Instead of running started walking for that reason, I could walk but uncomfortably. After about 8 minutes I wanted to change to running to see if changing the pace was a positive move. Useless, it was worst.
Still we walked about 3 miles.
This morning made a new attempt with out success. This is great. During the day I'm fine but now I can't run. It was happening exactly the opposite before the shot and I was running.
Hope this doesn't last too long. Hope at least I can be as I was before.
This makes me think how risking an operation would be. What appears to be a solution could make your problem worst. Now to wait when my right heel re heals. The left is fine.

This afternoon I will go to the beach with D and N. If I can't run I will be walking my feet better get use to this I don't want to be stopped.

5 comments:

Lulu said...

I used to smoke too and I also used to have the odd cigarette when I was drinking but now I can't even bear the smell of the smoke. I really hope your heels are better soon. Maybe they need a bit of rest to let the injections work.

Lulu said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ewen said...

40 is more of a special number than 50 :)

I'd say don't have an operation unless it's absolutely neccessary for you to run. Try all other solutions first.

I know a few ex-smokers who are now runners. One still smokes 'socially'. It's not a good idea. Apart from the health issues, you need all your breath for running!

strewth said...

I don't agree with Ewen - every 10 years is an era and each birthday is very important! 40 and 50 are equally special! So glad the party was a success. You are very brave to confess to smoking 3 cigarettes on this blog where you are bound to have many comments!! The good part is that you know it affects your running so you probably won't be in a hurry to repeat it. How lovely to be running at the beach. Do hope the heels don't cause too much pain.

Phil said...

What a great party ... you just need to lay off the cigarettes. Nicotine is such an addictive drug and I realize they are hard to resist under certain social situations. Sorry to hear that you are still having some heal pain; but, I agree with Ewen. You need do what ever you can to avoid surgery to your feet.